Hold effective career development conversations
Google encourages managers to have dedicated career conversations at a regular cadence, roughly once a quarter. Everyone’s needs are different, so managers should flex frequency appropriately (e.g., if an team member is preparing for a promotion or is more junior, you might hold more frequent check-ins).
Before having a career development conversation, prepare by thinking about:
- What is the team member’s performance and trajectory?
- What kind of work do they enjoy doing?
- What kind of work do they do well?
- What are they currently doing?
- What does the organization need them to do?
- What is one area for development?
- What type of career development support do they want?
- What would help this person feel valued?