build Tool: Structure career conversations with GROW
Goal: What do you want? Establish what the team member really wants to achieve with their career.
- “Where do you see yourself in one, five, and ten years?”
- “If money or your current skills weren’t an issue, what would be your dream role?”
- “What are your interests, values, and motivations?”
Reality: What’s happening now? Establish the team member's understanding of their current role and skills.
- “What are the most rewarding or frustrating aspects of your current role?”
- “Do you feel challenged or stretched in your current role? What would make it more challenging? What isn’t challenging you?"
- “What feedback have you received from other people on your strengths and weaknesses?”
Options: What could you do? Generate multiple options for closing the gap from goal to reality.
- “What can you do right now to further develop skills that would be useful in reaching that goal we talked about earlier?”
- “What stretch assignments, big projects, or experiences could you pursue?”
- “What networking or mentorship options are there?”
Will: What will you do? Identify achievable steps to move from reality to goal.
- “What will you do? By when?”
- “What resources would be useful? What skills will help you get there?”
- “What advocacy would help? How can I or our team leader provide more support towards your development?”
Career conversation worksheet
Print this worksheet and use it to structure your career conversations with your team members.