build Tool: Try Google’s Manager Feedback Survey
Google gathers feedback from employees on their managers through a semi-annual Manager Feedback Survey. Googlers answer confidentially and managers receive a report of anonymized, aggregated feedback if they get at least three survey responses, to preserve anonymity. Reports used to require more responses to ensure anonymity and avoid manager retaliation but the People Operations team didn't see much of this behavior. By reducing the threshold for reporting to three, far more managers of smaller teams could benefit from the feedback.
The feedback a manager gets through this survey is purely developmental. It isn't directly considered in performance or compensation reviews, in the hope that Googlers will be honest and constructive with their feedback.
The survey itself is short. It's roughly a dozen statements with a Likert scale measuring if Googlers agree or disagree with the statements. Each statement is based on one of the eight behaviors of successful managers at Google.
- My manager gives me actionable feedback that helps me improve my performance.
- My manager does not "micromanage" (i.e., get involved in details that should be handled at other levels).
- My manager shows consideration for me as a person.
- The actions of my manager show that he/she values the perspective I bring to the team, even if it is different from his/her own.
- My manager keeps the team focused on our priority results/deliverables.
- My manager regularly shares relevant information from his/her manager and senior leaders.
- My manager has had a meaningful discussion with me about career development in the past six months.
- My manager communicates clear goals for our team.
- My manager has the technical expertise (e.g., coding in Tech, selling in Global Business, accounting in Finance) required to effectively manage me.
- I would recommend my manager to other Googlers.
- I am satisfied with my manager’s overall performance as a manager.
The Manager Feedback Survey also asks for confidential comments from Googlers:
- What would you recommend your manager keep doing?
- What would you have your manager change?
Google's Manager Feedback Survey
Use, and customize, this survey to gather developmental feedback for your managers.